Sunday, August 5, 2007

Walking here is CHALLENGING

I am not a person who can cross a busy road even when i am in Singapore...but at least there are traffic lights and pedestrian crossing to help me. In Yogyakarta (Indonesia), I hardly see any traffic lights and there are so many motor bikes and cars here; it is certainly very frightening to cross the road alone. No cars will stop for you, you just have to cross....

Every morning before I go out, I will have a secret prayer that I can cross the road safely. I must hold on to Putri's hand whenever I cross the road. Many times I feel that I will be bang by the vehicles here, but miraculously I survived for almost 4 days. That is totally unbelivable.

When I was young, my parents always asked me to look to my left, and then to my right before crossing the road. Nah, this concept of crossing the road does not work here. The traffic never stops and there are endless cars and motors...so I started to use the concept of 'hearing'; that is, when Phalawan said 'Ok, lets cross the road after the blue car', then I will only cross the road after the blue car, if he said 'stop' then I will stop (which means I usually don't look before crossing, I merely follow his instruction). Hmm..certainly not advisable, but well, I survived.

I think it is both a challenge to walk and drive here. Pedestrians have to force their way across the road, and drivers have to constantly look out for pedestrains. Luckily for us, drivers here usually drive at a relatively slow speed, so they could stop on time for the pedestrians, but it could get a little dangerous at night when the street lights are dim.

I will try to record a video about the road condition here. I am really not lying. Phalawan said that we will be the 'road crossing expert' after we return to Singapore, haha. Well, hopefully it is true; I need this skill very badly in Yogyakarta.

God bless 3 of us!

No comments: