Sunday, August 5, 2007

Cicak!

There was a huge lizard in my room last night. Wait, huge is an understatement.. It was MASSIVE. In fact, it may have been an iguana. So there I was, armed with Tante’s lavender-scented Baygon spray and wearing a bedroom slipper on one foot and a sneaker on the other (so I could crush the reptile) waiting for it to make its move. And when it finally did, I screamed, called Tante on her handphone and asked her to run to my room immediately. Tante, as her name suggests, arrived of course with her egg white mask and headband! Unfortunately, Pahlawan was off duty – he was watching a movie on his laptop and missed our phone calls.

Thank goodness, Tante decided she’d peel of her eggwhite mask and run to the front office desk so they could help. So a security guard arrives, finds the whole situation extremely funny and asks me for a plastic bag. He bent down behind the mini fridge (that’s where the lizard had made its home) and in no time at all, had caught it in the bag! Such a genius! Tante and I screamed again when he left the room and wanted us to see the evidence (which of course we couldn’t do) but when I asked , “Dapat Pak?”, he said yes.. I hope he wasn’t kidding.

Early morning start today (7.30 am)! We met Pitra and Icha from PSSAT again and they took us and our two new German hostel mates to a street market around the UGM campus (sort of like Singapore’s pasar malam except much bigger and in the day time) where we had breakfast and took in the sights and sounds of a morning in Yogya. A very fun Sunday morning so far.

I just really hope there are no more cicak sightings.

1 comment:

hikayatdariyogya said...

Haha...there were many people at the lobby when i ran out with my pyjamas and head band...

Oh my goodness..it was embarrassing but really funny. I giggled even in the middle of the night yesterday when I thought about it...

Hopefully there are no more lizards and other funny pesticides in our room