Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Happy One Month!

Today marks the end of our first month in Yogya - we've survived... actually, I think we've THRIVED!

Honestly lah, I thought I would die within the first two days of being here. Like just collapse. And die. But I haven't and the city is actually growing on us quite a bit. We've formed new routines, encountered new situations, experienced new (and very pedas!) food, and met lots of interesting people and places in the process..

Maybe it's idealism talking but then experiences like this really are what you make of it. You can choose to whine about your crappy day or you can be thankful that you have this experience in the first place (Tante has made me much more religious :) coz sometimes, when we talk to some of our Indonesian friends here they always ask us about Singapore and what it's like and i guess when you put yourself in their shoes, you realise yea, maybe I should be happy that I got to spend a semester away, immersing myself in another culture. Some of us don't have the means to do what we're doing right now.

And so we may have bad days, and because I'm such a pessimist, I'm sure those days will come :) But for these remaining 2 and a half months, I'm hoping we see the glass half full and remember that you can't do-over these 3 months that you spend in Indonesia. So we must try to live in, and enjoy, the moment. When we look back on it once we're home (eating kaya toast and tim sum!), we wanna remember the great experiences we've had, laugh at the unfortunate ones and feel that in the end, the good outweighed the bad, and that made the trip worthwhile.

No comments: