Sunday, September 9, 2007

Pictures - In and Around Malioboro

Here are some pictures (to add on to Tante's previous entry) of our interactive class outing to Jalan Malioboro last Monday. The Kraton is really nice. Too bad the Sultan's wasn't in, I really wanted to say hi to him! This Wednesday, we are off to Parangtritis Beach (the beach you only look at and not swim in :) , with the Bahasa teachers. I'm pretty lucky coz i don't take Bahasa classes (not that I shouldn't, my language capabilities are still terrible) but they let me tag along anyways!
The 100 year old caretaker of the Kraton Museum which houses the royal families' horse carriages. He's holding up a picture of himself as a palace guard, taken in 1937, when he was 30. And he was really cute coz he kept repeating that he was born on 15 January 1907 and that he's 100 years and 7 months old. And the three of us we're quite fascinated, we're not even a quarter of that yet!


Us at the music hall of the Kraton. We thought it was about time we upload more photos of ourselves :) But no promises coz I am soooooo not a photo person!


I took this picture the next day while I was becak-riding with Puri. The tukang becak stopped the becak and pointed out that there was a gajah (elephant). And I seriously thought he meant like a toy elephant or an elephant-shaped kids' car or train or something (we were at a children's carnival which is held daily at the Kraton square). And no, it's not funny that I didn't see the elephant (and yes, I do know that it's the largest mammal on land) But i really didn't until it turned the corner and was walked directly towards me and then yea I realised ohh rite gajah!

Anyway I was too scared to get a photo of it's front (I thought the flash might send it into a blind rage) so I got it's behind for your viewing pleasure :) But ya, quite close right? Which is pretty cool for me coz when I was young, my dad let me ride one at the zoo and it suddenly raised its trunk and roared or blew or trumpeted, whatever sound it is elephants make, and it scared the living daylights out of me. But still, I'd take an elephant over a kangaroo any day.

Hope you enjoy the photos.. Will upload shots of our day at Parangtritis soon!

No comments: